Posts for tag: Uterine Fibroids
Uterine fibroids are basically noncancerous growths found in the uterus. They usually appear during a woman’s childbearing years. You’ll be glad to know that they’re not related to a raised risk of developing cancer of the uterus and almost always never develop into uterine cancer.
Lots of women develop these fibroids at some point in their lives. However, they may not know they have them since fibroids don’t usually cause symptoms. Your ob-gyn might detect these fibroids during a prenatal ultrasound or routine pelvic exam in our Pembroke Pines, FL, or Hollywood, FL, here at Premiere Obgyn.
Treating Uterine Fibroids
Plenty of women experience no symptoms or warning signs of uterine fibroids, or only certain bothersome but negligible symptoms. If this applies to you, your doctor may recommend a “wait and see” approach and careful monitoring. Otherwise, your ob-gyn in our Hollywood, FL, or Pembroke Pines, FL, may suggest the following treatments for treating your fibroids:
These work by targeting hormones responsible for regulating the menstrual cycle and treating symptoms like pelvic pressure and heavy periods. While they don’t get rid of uterine fibroids, they might shrink them. These medicines include:
- IUDs or intrauterine devices that release the progestin hormone
- GnRH or gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists such as triptorelin, goserelin, and leuprolide
- Tranexamic acid
- Oral contraceptives for controlling menstrual bleeding
- NSAIDs or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for alleviating pain linked to uterine fibroids
Noninvasive Uterine Fibroid Treatment
This includes MRI-guided FUS or focused ultrasound surgery. This outpatient procedure will preserve the state of the uterus and doesn’t require an incision.
Minimally Invasive Uterine Fibroid Procedures
Some minimally invasive surgeries are capable of destroying fibroids without removing them via the procedure. These include:
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Uterine artery embolization
- Robotic or laparoscopic myomectomy
- Endometrial ablation
- Hysteroscopic myomectomy
Traditional Uterine Fibroid Surgical Interventions
- Abdominal myomectomy is often recommended for treating very large, very deep, and/or multiple fibroids. This requires opening up the abdomen area to extract the fibroids.
- Hysterectomy entails removing the entire uterus and is the only proven option for permanent fibroid elimination. This is a major procedure that ends your capability to have children in the future.
Take note that for all fibroid treatment options, except for hysterectomy, some tiny tumors that might not be detected during surgery could grow over time and result in symptoms that will require further treatment. Additionally, new fibroids that might or might not need treatment, could likewise develop. This is why routine checkups with your ob-gyn and proper monitoring are crucial.
Speak to Us For Help Treating Your Uterine Fibroids
Arrange an evaluation in our Pembroke Pines, FL, or Hollywood, FL, here at Premiere Obgyn by calling (954) 961-9993.