Posts for tag: VBAC
Talking to Your OBGYN About VBAC
Many women who have already given birth by means of a Cesarean or C-section can still give birth vaginally. This is known as Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC). Whether you are a candidate for VBAC or not will largely depend on the reason for your previous C-section. The doctors at Premier Obgyn in Pembroke Pines, FL are happy to answer all your questions about VBAC and tell you if it’s right for you.
Am I a Good Candidate for VBAC?
Pembroke Pines patients who are possible candidates for VBAC include those who:
- Had a previous C-section with a low-transverse incision
- Have never had a uterine rupture
- Have never had extensive uterine surgeries
- Have access to a doctor who can perform an emergency C-section if necessary
Benefits of Choosing VBAC
The benefits of VBAC include:
- Future pregnancies: If you wish to have more children in the future, VBAC may help reduce your risk of placenta previa.
- Surgical complications: VBAC reduces your risk of complications such as infection, blood clots, and bleeding.
- Shorter recovery: You will be able to return home sooner after a VBAC than after a C-section.
Factors that Reduce your Chance of a VBAC
If the following factors apply, they may make it less likely that you will be considered a viable candidate for VBAC:
- You are overweight
- You have gone over 40 weeks of gestation
- You need to have your labor induced
- You are an older mother
- It has been 18 months or less since your last pregnancy
- Your baby’s estimated birth weight is more than 8.8 pounds
You can contact the team at Premiere OBGNY to schedule an appointment at their Pembroke Pines office on (954) 961-9993 or their Hollywood office on (954) 961-9993. The doctors will be happy to answer all of your questions about VBAC.